Kenya: `38 people killed in clashes`
Nairobi: The Red Cross says fighting between a semi-nomadic tribe of livestock herders and a farming community in southeastern Kenya escalated on Monday, with 38 people killed, including nine police officers.
Kenya Red Cross secretary general Abbas Gullet said that eight children were also among those killed in the dawn attack in which over 300 people from the Pokomo tribe raided a village of Orma tribe of herders. The raiders torched 167 houses.
Gullet says although the two tribes periodically fight over land and water resources the violence this year could be politically instigated.
On Friday, 11 members of the Pokomo tribe were killed by members of Orma community in revenge attack. The Pokomo had earlier killed 52 members of Orma tribe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No talks about starring with Kangana in Ritesh's next: Irrfan Khan
- Dalits refuse to dispose of dead cattle, demand protection in Gujarat
- Silsila was trashed by media at time of release: Amitabh Bachchan
- Irrfan Khan wanted to make film on Mahasweta Devi's life
- Hard to digest! 90-year-old woman comes back to life at funeral, says she met 'Yamraj'