Kenya buries its dead as impatience mounts for answe
Nairobi: Kenya on Thursday buried victims of a four-day mall massacre by Islamist gunmen, as police pleaded for patience while searchers combed the charred rubble of the devastated complex for dozens still missing.
Weeping mourners from multiple religions gathered for the latest funerals of the 67 victims whose bodies have so far been recovered from the wreckage of Nairobi`s Westgate shopping mall, a bloodbath claimed by Somalia`s al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab.
Interpol issued an international arrest notice at Kenya`s request for 29-year old Samantha Lewthwaite, dubbed the `White Widow`, a reference to her marriage to one of the suicide bombers who killed 52 people in London`s July 2005 terror attacks.
Nairobi accuses her of alleged links to the al Shabaab and the possession of explosives in a 2011 plot, and there has been widespread media speculation over her possible role in Nairobi`s deadly mall siege, despite no concrete evidence so far.
But the warrant may do little to temper mounting public frustration as to the fate of dozens still missing, with some taking to social media to demand answers to a raft of questions on what brought part of the building down, the fate of the missing and the status of the investigation.
Police pleaded for patience as Kenyan and international teams -- including from Britain, the United States and Israel -- combed the charred rubble of the devastated complex for dozens still missing.
But with around a third of the building collapsed -- as though hit by an earthquake but with the risk of booby traps amongst the mangled wreckage -- the work of international forensic and security experts scouring the vast complex for bodies and clues will take at least a week to complete, Kenya`s Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku said.
President Uhuru Kenyatta announced an end to the 80-hour siege late Tuesday, with the "immense" loss of 61 civilians and six members of the security forces. Five suspected attackers were also killed, and 11 detained, officials said.
Police said the death toll was provisional, with the Kenyan Red Cross reporting that 61 people remain unaccounted for after the attack.
But it also warned of "increased public anxiety on account of missing persons" in a statement criticising "inadequate information flow".
As well as scores of Kenyans -- from ordinary workers to the president`s nephew -- many of the dead were foreigners, including from Britain, Canada, China, France, the Netherlands, India, South Africa and South Korea.
Images released by the army -- which has imposed a strict cordon around the crime scene -- show a vast hole where the back of the building has collapsed, with tonnes of concrete now smothering where the insurgents are believed to have made their final stand, alongside possibly multiple hostages.
Thin wisps of grey smoke continued to rise from the building, with AFP reporters hearing occasional blasts, understood to be controlled detonations of possible explosives.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket