Kenya bus disaster kill 41: Police
Nairobi: At least 41 people were killed today in a bus crash west of the Kenyan capital Nairobi, the Kenyan Red Cross said.
"It is a horrible scene. Bodies are strewn all over," traffic police official Samuel Kimaru said by telephone from the scene near the town of Narok.
"It is difficult to tell exactly what happened but all indications point to speeding and possibly overloading," he said. "It is quite disturbing."
The Kenyan Red Cross said it had confirmed 41 deaths and 27 others with "multiple injuries".
The bus was travelling from Nairobi to Homa Bay on the banks of Lake Victoria.
It was about halfway into the journey when it veered off the road and plunged into a valley, rolling over several times.
The Red Cross said the accident occurred shortly after 2:00 am (0430 IST). Pictures from the organisation showed the bus in the bushes at the bottom of a hill, its roof ripped off.
Kimaru said police had "a difficult time recovering the bodies because this place is hilly and bushy".
"We`ve dozens others injured and we are not certain how many because they were taken to various hospitals... We have officers checking with the hospitals," Kimaru said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you