Kenya bus disaster kill 41: Police
Nairobi: At least 41 people were killed today in a bus crash west of the Kenyan capital Nairobi, the Kenyan Red Cross said.
"It is a horrible scene. Bodies are strewn all over," traffic police official Samuel Kimaru said by telephone from the scene near the town of Narok.
"It is difficult to tell exactly what happened but all indications point to speeding and possibly overloading," he said. "It is quite disturbing."
The Kenyan Red Cross said it had confirmed 41 deaths and 27 others with "multiple injuries".
The bus was travelling from Nairobi to Homa Bay on the banks of Lake Victoria.
It was about halfway into the journey when it veered off the road and plunged into a valley, rolling over several times.
The Red Cross said the accident occurred shortly after 2:00 am (0430 IST). Pictures from the organisation showed the bus in the bushes at the bottom of a hill, its roof ripped off.
Kimaru said police had "a difficult time recovering the bodies because this place is hilly and bushy".
"We`ve dozens others injured and we are not certain how many because they were taken to various hospitals... We have officers checking with the hospitals," Kimaru said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Twitter's Android app makes night-time tweeting easy
- Chinese troops camp in Uttarakhand's Chamoli, PLA helicopter violates Indian airspace
- Assam flood toll 12, CM makes statement in House
- WATCH: PURE CLASS! Umar Akmal hits three consecutive sixes in game-changing knock
- Hilarious: Chinese girl slips and pulls down man's shorts in bus, this video will leave you in splits