Kenya bus disaster kill 41: Police
Nairobi: At least 41 people were killed today in a bus crash west of the Kenyan capital Nairobi, the Kenyan Red Cross said.
"It is a horrible scene. Bodies are strewn all over," traffic police official Samuel Kimaru said by telephone from the scene near the town of Narok.
"It is difficult to tell exactly what happened but all indications point to speeding and possibly overloading," he said. "It is quite disturbing."
The Kenyan Red Cross said it had confirmed 41 deaths and 27 others with "multiple injuries".
The bus was travelling from Nairobi to Homa Bay on the banks of Lake Victoria.
It was about halfway into the journey when it veered off the road and plunged into a valley, rolling over several times.
The Red Cross said the accident occurred shortly after 2:00 am (0430 IST). Pictures from the organisation showed the bus in the bushes at the bottom of a hill, its roof ripped off.
Kimaru said police had "a difficult time recovering the bodies because this place is hilly and bushy".
"We`ve dozens others injured and we are not certain how many because they were taken to various hospitals... We have officers checking with the hospitals," Kimaru said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij