Kenya chopper crash: Two ministers among six killed
Nairobi: Kenya`s internal security minister and his deputy were among six government officials killed in a police helicopter crash on Sunday near the capital Nairobi, Kenyan media reported.
George Saitoti, a US-educated economist and mathematician, and his assistant Orwa Ojode were in the police helicopter that crashed near a forest in Ngong town, Xinhua reported citing local radio station Capital FM.
The others were the two pilots -- Luke Oyugi and Nancy Gituanja -- and two of the ministers` bodyguards -- Inspector Joshua Tonkei and Sergeant Thomas Murimi.
The Kenya Red Cross said the bodies were burnt beyond recognition. The cause of the accident has not been established.
The ministers were heading to the Sunday church service in Oyugis town in western Kenya.
Kenyan President Mwai Kibaki termed the deaths as "a devastating loss to our country".
"On behalf of the government and the people of Kenya, I send my heartfelt condolences to the family, friends and relatives of the six Kenyans," he said.
He said Saitoti would be remembered as a hardworking and determined public servant who dedicated his time to the service of the people.
Prime Minister Raila Odinga said the crash brought a great loss to the east African nation.
"It is a particularly poignant and a bad coincidence that the deaths of Saitoti and Ojode have occurred on the fourth anniversary of the death of the late minister Kipklaya Kones and the late MP for Sotik Lorna Laboso who also perished in plane crashes in the same area," Odinga said.
On exactly June 10, 2008, Kones, then the minister for roads, and Laboso died in a plane crash in Rift Valley near the same area.
Saitoti, a former vice president and minister for finance and education, was one of the presidential candidates for the forthcoming general elections to be held March 2013.
He had been serving in the government after being plucked out from teaching at the University of Nairobi.
Ojode, the MP for Ndhiwa constituency, had cheated death in a helicopter crash May 11, 2009, along with with former police chief Hussein Ali and Rift valley provincial commissioner Hassan Noor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why