Kenya mall attack: Chilling CCTV footage provides vital clues into Westgate siege
Zee Media Bureau
Nairobi: With chilling nonchalance, between four and six gunmen who massacred at least 67 people wander through Kenya`s Westgate mall, seen for the first time in security camera footage providing possible vital evidence to investigators.
Kenyan police said on Saturday that only between four and six armed men, not 10 to 15 as earlier thought, conducted the attack.
"From what we have now that is coming out of the investigation, the number of attackers was between four to six," police chief David Kimaiyo told Kenyan television station KTN.
Calmly searching corners of the mall -- possibly hunting for more victims to kill after executing scores in the main hall of the upmarket complex -- the closed-circuit television footage showed four young men ambling around with AK-47 rifles in hand.
Witnesses in the mall described how the fighters stormed the complex midday on Saturday when it was crowded with shoppers, firing from the hip and hurling grenades at shoppers and staff.
But hours after the attack started, the men are seen in the bread section of the supermarket, the bulk of their victims most likely already dead.
They wear backpacks, perhaps stuffed with the ammunition that they would use to keep Kenya`s army -- backed by foreign special forces -- at bay for four days.
Two weeks since Somalia`s al Qaeda linked al Shabab insurgents attacked Nairobi`s upmarket Westgate mall, the CCTV footage could help answer questions about the bloodbath.
One thing is clear: the men were organised, apparently unafraid, and utterly ruthless.
During the attack, Kenyan officials said that between 10 - 15 gunmen were involved, and later claimed to have killed five, although it is not clear where those bodies are now.
But the footage released so far, which covers only one part of the mall and which was taken around five hours into the 80-hour siege, shows only four men.
In one shot, one of the attackers looks at supermarket checkout tills, knocking over computer screens.
At the same time, he is seen chatting on a mobile phone, suggesting either coordination with attackers inside the mall or even to commanders outside or in Somalia.
The Shabab issued a running commentary throughout the attack via various Twitter accounts, claiming to be in contact with the fighters inside the mall.
In addition, no female attackers are seen, in line with Shebab claims all the insurgents were men, and suggesting reports that wanted British `White Widow` Samantha Lewthwaite was involved were false.
It could provide key clues for detectives, not least because the supermarket area -- where the footage was shot -- was later engulfed in a fierce blaze.
Kenyan and foreign investigators are continuing to comb the carcass of the mall for clues to the perpetrators and their operating methods.
Part of the rooftop parking of the mall collapsed on top of the supermarket, leaving the key site where the insurgents are understood to have made their final stand -- along with possible hostages -- buried under tonnes of concrete slabs and rubble.
Thirty-nine people are still listed as missing by the Red Cross.
It is not clear what happened to those seen in the footage: whether they died in a shootout as Kenya claims, or in the fire that gutted part of the mall, or indeed, if they managed to escape.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh