`Kenya not to pull out troops from Somalia`
Nairobi: Kenyan government said Wednesday that it will not withdraw its troops from neighbouring Somalia, despite rising terror attacks from the Horn of Africa nation.
Deputy President William Ruto said increased terror attacks will not make Kenya run away, but will make it continue to play its role as a responsible neighbour to help stabilise the region.
"Kenya is not going to walk away from its duty as a responsible neighbour, we are going to stay engaged under the Amison arrangement until stability is realised in Somalia," Xinhua quoted Ruto as saying during a joint conference with visiting Somali Prime Minister Abdiweli Sheikh Ahmed in Nairobi.
The latest reaction came after a section of Kenyans, including the opposition, urged the government to withdraw troops from Somalia to prevent future terrorist attacks in the country.
The insurgents have surged their grenade and bomb attacks on Kenyan soil to protest the military incursion into southern Somalia in 2011.
Ruto, however, said the Kenyan military incursion in Somalia has weakened the Al-Shabaab militants` capacity to carry out massive terror attacks in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’