Nairobi: The Kenyan government has relocated 370 non-Muslims seeking refuge at the Mandera military camp, officials said Saturday.
The move follows two attacks by militants in the past two weeks. In one attack they killed 28 non-Muslims travelling in a Nairobi-bound bus, and in the other attack they massacred 36 quarry workers in Mandera.
Mandera County Commissioner Alex Ole Nkoyo confirmed Saturday that plans were underway to facilitate the transportation of 370 people, stating that all the quarry workers had already been assembled at the Kenya Defence Forces camp.
"We are currently having 370 people at the military camp and we are not evacuating them. We are only facilitating those who want to go home and we are talking to the bus owners in this town to see if we can get up to five and we give them police escort along the way," Ole Nkoyo said.
Reports from the border town said all ground transport and three civilian flights that depart weekly from Mandera were fully booked.