Kenya terror attack: Indian killed as he couldn’t name Prophet Muhammad’s mother
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Nairobi: The attackers of Kenya’s Westgate mall who spoke in Swahili and targeted non-Muslims, killed an Indian only because he couldn’t tell what was the name of Prophet Muhammad’s mother.
According to a report in the Guardian, one of the survivors named Joshua Hakim, recounted the events of the horrific attack, saying how the Indian was killed.
“Then an Indian man came forward and they said, `What is the name of Muhammad`s mother?` When he couldn`t answer they just shot him," said Hakim who owes his survival to his last name which sounds like that of a Muslim.
The attackers were reportedly of Somali origin and speaking in Swahili. They called out Muslims to identify themselves and leave.
When Joshua’s turn came, he managed to hide his first Christian name by putting his thumb on the ID, exposing just the Muslim sounding name and escaped the terrorists.
Another survivor, a software engineer told the Guardian that the militants were firing randomly at people as if “throwing maize to the chickens”.
Among those killed, there were two Indians, one was an engineer from Chennai, Sridhar Natarajan and another was an eightyear old boy Parmanshu Jain - the son of country manager of Bank of Baroda.
Also, two Canadians, two French, three Britons and an Australian were among those confirmed dead.
Even as Kenya mall standoff that claimed 68 lives, entered third day today, the al Shabab militants who claim to be behind the terror attack, remain holed up inside Nairobi’s upscale Westgate shopping centre.
Fresh gunfire erupted Monday morning as Kenya Army troops have intensified action against the militants.
The mall is popular with expats and affluent Kenyans and was targeted by the al Shabab militants in retaliation to Kenyan Army support to UN mission in Somalia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY