Kenya terror attack: Indian killed as he couldn’t name Prophet Muhammad’s mother
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Nairobi: The attackers of Kenya’s Westgate mall who spoke in Swahili and targeted non-Muslims, killed an Indian only because he couldn’t tell what was the name of Prophet Muhammad’s mother.
According to a report in the Guardian, one of the survivors named Joshua Hakim, recounted the events of the horrific attack, saying how the Indian was killed.
“Then an Indian man came forward and they said, `What is the name of Muhammad`s mother?` When he couldn`t answer they just shot him," said Hakim who owes his survival to his last name which sounds like that of a Muslim.
The attackers were reportedly of Somali origin and speaking in Swahili. They called out Muslims to identify themselves and leave.
When Joshua’s turn came, he managed to hide his first Christian name by putting his thumb on the ID, exposing just the Muslim sounding name and escaped the terrorists.
Another survivor, a software engineer told the Guardian that the militants were firing randomly at people as if “throwing maize to the chickens”.
Among those killed, there were two Indians, one was an engineer from Chennai, Sridhar Natarajan and another was an eightyear old boy Parmanshu Jain - the son of country manager of Bank of Baroda.
Also, two Canadians, two French, three Britons and an Australian were among those confirmed dead.
Even as Kenya mall standoff that claimed 68 lives, entered third day today, the al Shabab militants who claim to be behind the terror attack, remain holed up inside Nairobi’s upscale Westgate shopping centre.
Fresh gunfire erupted Monday morning as Kenya Army troops have intensified action against the militants.
The mall is popular with expats and affluent Kenyans and was targeted by the al Shabab militants in retaliation to Kenyan Army support to UN mission in Somalia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion