Kenyan police officer kills 10 people in rampage
Nairobi: A police officer in a central Kenyan town went on a shooting rampage, killing 10 people in three different bars, officials and a local journalist said on Sunday.
The shooting spree happened late Saturday in Siakago, 90 miles (150 kilometres) northeast of the capital, Nairobi.
Officials are investigating the shootings, said Provincial Police Chief Marcus Ochole. He confirmed that 10 people had been killed but said he couldn`t immediately provide details.
John Chelimo, the district commissioner, said the suspect, who he said was in his 30s, went out on Saturday night looking for a female friend but that he couldn`t find her. The officer is in police custody, Chelimo said.
"He has not talked and the motive is not clear," Chelimo said.
A local radio reporter, Antonin Newite, said the police officer opened fire in three different bars, killing one person in each of the first two bars and eight people in the third bar.
Many townspeople didn`t realise what was happening because they mistook the gunfire for fireworks, said Newite. Many Hindus in Kenya were celebrating the festival of Diwali on Saturday.
The killings sparked a mass protest in front of the Siakago police station early Sunday, said Nyaga Manunga, whose daughter was one of those killed. He said the shootings took place very close to the police station.
"In Siakago there is no security," Manunga said. "Someone can`t just shoot 20 to 30 bullets without any reaction from the police."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon