Kenyan President suspends judge over gun threat
Nairobi: President Mwai Kibaki suspended Kenya`s deputy chief justice on Wednesday and named a tribunal to investigate an incident in which she allegedly threatened a shopping mall security guard with a pistol.
Kibaki`s move came after the senior judge called for his deputy to be suspended while under investigation in a case that is seen a test of whether confidence in the judiciary can be restored in the east African country, where the powerful are generally seen as being above the law.
It is also interesting as the attorney general said the finance minister, whom the International Court confirmed on Monday must face trial for crimes against humanity for election violence four years ago, can stay in office for now.
A gazette notice signed by Kibaki said the tribunal would be mandated to investigate the conduct of Nancy Baraza.
"In the meantime, Honourable Lady Justice Nancy Makokha Baraza, the Deputy Chief Justice, Supreme Court of Kenya stands suspended from exercising the functions of her office with immediate effect," the notice said.
Security guard Rebecca Morara had said Baraza had refused to be screened at the entrance to Nairobi`s upmarket Village Market shopping mall on New Year`s Eve. The guard said Baraza pinched her nose and threatened her with a pistol.
When the accusations first surfaced, Baraza said she had received threats since her appointment in June and had been concerned for her safety.
Security has been tightened at shopping malls and other public spots after Somalia`s al-Shabaab militants threatened to launch attacks in Kenya for sending troops across the border. Kenya accuses the Islamist militants of cross-border attacks and kidnappings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says