Kenyan president to miss UN meet, warns international court
Nairobi: Kenya`s president will not attend the UN General Assembly because his deputy will be away on trial at the International Criminal Court, State House said on Friday, warning future cooperation with the ICC could be in jeopardy.
"Whereas very important multilateral and bilateral meetings had been planned for President (Uhuru) Kenyatta during the week, including a speech to the General Assembly, we very much regret that he cannot be out of the country at the same time as the Deputy President," a statement said.
The statement said Kenyatta and Vice President William Ruto, both of whom are accused by the ICC of crimes against humanity linked to 2007-2008 post-election violence, have so far "cooperated fully" with the Hague-based ICC.
But State House warned that "the political space for continuous cooperation was rapidly being eroded and the country was weary that the dire consequences of these developments seemed to be lost on the ICC."
It complained that the ICC`s scheduling had forced Kenya into a position where it will not be represented at the UN.
"Owing to these developments, Kenya will for the first time since our independence 50 years ago not be represented at a political level during the High Level Week of the United Nations General Assembly that the President was scheduled to attend," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!