Kenyan troops storm last Somali rebel stronghold
Mogadishu: In a significant development, African Union (AU) forces on Friday took control of parts of Kismayo, the last major Islamist militant bastion in southern Somalia.
According to Kenya`s military, “The AU forces have launched a massive offensive against Al-Qaeda linked Shebab insurgents after entering the southern Somali port city.”
The rebels and city residents however contradicted the claims and said that AU troops were still on the outskirts of the city that the Army has been targeting for days.
"It was a joint operation both on air and ground, we finally entered Kismayo at 0430 IST," Kenyan Army spokesman Cyrus Oguna was quoted as telling mediamen.
"We can’t give casualty figures at the moment, the damage has not been assessed, but I can tell you our forces are already in Kismayo," Oguna said.
Sheik Mohamed Abu Fatuma, a Shebab commander in Kismayo, however denied that soldiers had entered the city.
Kismayo is the last major bastion of the Shebab, who have lost most of their other strongholds to the 17,000-strong African Union force -- of which Kenya is a part -- as well as allied Ethiopian forces.
Kenyan forces have been targeting the port for days and on Tuesday fighter jets bombarded the city`s airport.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof