Kenya`s military spokesman names Nairobi Mall attackers
Nairobi: A military spokesman on Saturday confirmed the names of the four fighters implicated in the attack on the upscale Westgate Mall in Kenya`s capital last month, an assault that turned into a four-day-long siege, killing at least 67 people.
Major Emmanuel Chirchir said the attackers were Abu Baara al-Sudani, Omar Nabhan, Khattab al-Kene and Umayr, names that were first broadcast by a local Kenyan television station. "I confirm those are the names of the terrorist," he said, in an email message sent to The Associated Press.
The identities of the men come as a private television station in Nairobi obtained and broadcast the CCTV footage from the Nairobi mall. The footage shows no more than four attackers.
They are seen calmly walking through a storeroom inside the complex, holding machine guns. One of the men`s pant legs appears to be stained with blood, though he is not limping, and it is unclear if the blood is his, or that of his victims`.
The footage contradicts earlier government statements which indicated that between 10 to 15 attackers were involved in the September 21 attack.
Terrified shoppers hid behind mannequins, inside cardboard boxes, in storage rooms, in ventilation shafts and in the parking lot underneath parked cars, many hiding for hours before help arrived.
Al Shabaab, al Qaeda`s affiliate in neighbouring Somalia, claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it was revenge for Kenya`s military intervention in Somalia in 2011 that was aimed at flushing out the extremists.
Little is known about the identities of the attackers, beyond their names.
Matt Bryden, the former head of the United Nations Monitoring Group on Somalia and Eritrea, said via email that al-Kene and Umayr are known members of al-Hijra, the Kenyan arm of al Shaabab.
He added that Nabhan may be a relative of Saleh Ali Saleh Nabhan, one of the most-wanted al Qaeda operatives in the region and an alleged plotter in the 1998 bombings at US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania that killed more than 250 people. He was killed in 2009 when Navy SEALS led a strike in the town of Barawe in Somalia where he was hiding.
Early today, foreign military forces carried out a pre-dawn strike against fighters in the same southern Somali village. The strike in Barawe took place in the hours before morning prayers against what one official said were "high-profile" targets, without providing further details.
A Western intelligence official said it appeared likely that either US or French forces carried out the attack. Both insisted on anonymity to discuss intelligence matters.
A resident of Barawe a seaside town 240 kilometres south of Mogadishu said by telephone that heavy gunfire woke up the population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'