Kerry faces lawmakers at odds over Iran
Washington: Secretary of State John Kerry will present his best case to Congress against plowing ahead with new economic sanctions on Iran that could break a historic nuclear agreement and estrange America`s closest allies in Europe as well as China and Russia.
He`s appearing today before the House Foreign Affairs Committee. This, as lawmakers threaten to undermine last month`s interim nuclear accord in Geneva. There, the US and world powers promised Iran USD 7 billion in sanctions relief in exchange for nuclear concessions.
The deal prohibits the Obama administration from introducing new sanctions for six months. Kerry and other US officials have warned of dire consequences if Washington breaks its word. And Iran`s foreign minister has said any new package of commercial restrictions would break the deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony