Kerry faces lawmakers at odds over Iran
Washington: Secretary of State John Kerry will present his best case to Congress against plowing ahead with new economic sanctions on Iran that could break a historic nuclear agreement and estrange America`s closest allies in Europe as well as China and Russia.
He`s appearing today before the House Foreign Affairs Committee. This, as lawmakers threaten to undermine last month`s interim nuclear accord in Geneva. There, the US and world powers promised Iran USD 7 billion in sanctions relief in exchange for nuclear concessions.
The deal prohibits the Obama administration from introducing new sanctions for six months. Kerry and other US officials have warned of dire consequences if Washington breaks its word. And Iran`s foreign minister has said any new package of commercial restrictions would break the deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...