Kerry faces lawmakers at odds over Iran
Washington: Secretary of State John Kerry will present his best case to Congress against plowing ahead with new economic sanctions on Iran that could break a historic nuclear agreement and estrange America`s closest allies in Europe as well as China and Russia.
He`s appearing today before the House Foreign Affairs Committee. This, as lawmakers threaten to undermine last month`s interim nuclear accord in Geneva. There, the US and world powers promised Iran USD 7 billion in sanctions relief in exchange for nuclear concessions.
The deal prohibits the Obama administration from introducing new sanctions for six months. Kerry and other US officials have warned of dire consequences if Washington breaks its word. And Iran`s foreign minister has said any new package of commercial restrictions would break the deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000