Kerry greets South Asian communities on New Year
Washington: US Secretary of State John Kerry Friday greeted the Bengali, Sri Lankan and Nepalese communities on the occasion of their cultural new year.
"On behalf of President (Barack) Obama and the American people, I offer the people of Nepal best wishes for a prosperous and joyful New Year," Kerry said in a statement.
"Nepal has achieved important milestones this past year, including the democratic election of a new Constituent Assembly," he said.
"I hope that the coming year will bring further progress towards enduring political stability and the full completion of a new constitution, keeping your country on the path of prosperity and peace. Naya Barshako Shubha-Kamana!" Kerry said.
Kerry, also greeted Sri Lankans on the occasion and said this brings a new opportunity for all to join together in the spirit of tolerance, reconciliation, and peace.
"On behalf of President Obama and the American people, I offer warmest greetings to the people of Sri Lanka and the vibrant global Sri Lankan diaspora," Kerry said.
"This New Year brings a new opportunity for all Sri Lankans to join together in the spirit of tolerance, reconciliation, and peace. As Sri Lankans gather to mark the potential of the New Year, we join in celebrating with you," said the secretary of state.
"As you continue your work to build a prosperous, democratic Sri Lanka, I offer my best wishes for a safe and happy holiday and a prosperous, peaceful year ahead," Kerry said in a statement.
Greeting Bengalis across the world on the occasion of their new year -- Pahela Boishakh, Kerry conveyed the US` "Warmest greetings to Bengali communities around the world as you celebrate Pahela Boishakh".
"The United States joins you in celebrating the vibrant history and culture of the Bengali-speaking people. Your rich cultural heritage, from food and song to poetry, art, and literature has greatly enriched our own," he said.
"As you gather with family and friends to celebrate the New Year, know that the United States stands with you as a partner and friend. Shubho Nobo Borsho!" Kerry said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen