Kerry, Lavrov to meet on Syria next week: UN
Geneva: US Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov will meet next week to discuss the situation in war-torn Syria, the United Nations said on Tuesday.
"The meeting has been informed that Minister Lavrov and Secretary Kerry would be meeting next week," the UN said in a statement following talks in Geneva between senior US, Russian and UN diplomats aimed at paving the way for a new international peace conference on Syria.
"The discussions were constructive, and focused on ways to ensure that the Geneva Conference on Syria can take place with the best chances of success," the statement said.
It was the second meeting this month between UN peace envoy to Syria Lakhdar Brahimi and Russian Deputy Foreign Ministers Gennady Gatilov and Mikhail Bogdanov and US Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman.
The so-called Geneva 2 conference, which is meant to follow up on an initial meeting in the Swiss city last year that produced a never-implemented transition plan for Syria, had initially been pencilled in for this month, then July.
But before today`s session started, Brahimi told reporters the Geneva 2 conference probably would not happen in July either.
Afterwards the UN announced the Lavrov and Kerry meeting next week and added that "further consultations among the United Nations, the Russian Federation and the United States would take place thereafter on the date of the conference and to complete the list of participants."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday