Kerry meets Arab League leaders, discusses Middle East
Washington: In an effort to revive the stalled peace process between Israel and Palestine, US Secretary of State John Kerry held meetings with Arab League representatives, in which the leaders reaffirmed their commitment to the two-state solution.
"On behalf of President, I reaffirmed the US commitment to pursue an end to conflict based on the vision that President Obama outlined in May of 2011: two states living side by side in peace and security brought about through direct negotiations between the parties," Kerry said.
He was talking to reporters in a joint press availability with the Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jabr Al Thani.
Kerry said the US and Arab League delegation agreed that peace between Israelis and Palestinians would advance security, prosperity, and stability in the Middle East.
The meeting was also briefly attended by the US Vice President Joe Biden.
"And that is a common interest for the region and the whole world. The US and Arab League delegations this afternoon also agreed about importance of this particular dialogue, and so we agreed to continue consultations on a regular basis and to meet as a group as needed in order to try to advance the efforts towards peace and an end to the conflict," he said.
Describing the meeting as "very productive and good" the Qatari Prime Minister said the Arab League delegation understands that peace process between Palestinian and Israel is starting.
"It is a strategic choice for the Arab state, referring to the Arab initiative, peace initiative -- as sound peace for reaching a joint justice and peace between the Palestinian and the Israeli, and stability in the Middle East," he said.
"The Arab League delegation affirmed that agreement should be based on the two-state solution on the basis of the 4th of June 1967 line, with the possible of comparable and mutual agreed minor swap of the land," the Qatari Prime Minister said.
Besides Kerry, the Qatari Prime Minister and top US officials, several other Arab League officials also took part in the negotiations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- Huge blow for Arvind Kejriwal ahead of MCD elections, AAP MLA Ved Prakash joins BJP