Kerry reaches out to Hamas allies to press truce
Cairo: US Secretary of State John Kerry spoke on Thursday to his counterparts in Qatar and Turkey, which support the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, as he pressed for a Gaza ceasefire.
Kerry - who is in Egypt, which has drafted a truce proposal for the Israel-Hamas conflict - spoke by phone with the foreign ministers of Qatar and Turkey, a US official said.
The top US diplomat was hoping Qatar and Turkey would use their influence to encourage Hamas to accept a ceasefire plan, which the Islamist group has so far rejected, the official said.
Kerry also spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, after meeting him for two hours late yesterday.
Hamas chief Khaled Meshaal is based in Qatar, while Turkey`s Islamist-oriented Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has harshly criticised Israel`s assault on Hamas-ruled Gaza as well as Egypt`s role in trying to clinch a ceasefire.
The 17-day conflict has killed more than 730 Palestinians, many of them civilians.
Hamas has rejected the ceasefire proposal by Egypt`s military-backed government insisting that Israel end its eight-year siege on the impoverished Gaza Strip.
But a senior Hamas official acknowledged yesterday that it was unrealistic to expect the blockade to end in tandem with a ceasefire and instead called for a firm agreement on principles on how to lift the siege.
Israel, which initially accepted a truce, has said it will keep up its military campaign as it eliminates tunnels that infiltrate the Jewish state from Gaza.
Officials said Kerry, who briefed President Barack Obama overnight on his efforts to halt the bloodshed in Gaza, would be making more telephone calls from Cairo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre