Kerry says time is now for Syria`s Assad to quit
Paris: New US Secretary of State John Kerry says the time has passed for Syrian President Basher Assad to leave power.
His first official meetings with France`s leadership come amid increasing efforts by both countries to bolster Syria`s opposition.
Kerry met today with French President Francois Hollande in Paris, chatting in French on the front steps of the Elysee Palace.
The war in Syria and Iran`s nuclear programme have topped the agenda of Kerry`s tour of Europe and the Middle East.
Officials in the United States and Europe said yesterday the Obama administration is nearing a decision on whether to provide non-lethal assistance to carefully vetted fighters opposed to Assad.
"We are examining and developing ways to accelerate the political transition that the Syrian people want and deserve," Kerry said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra