Kerry to attend Syria meeting in Istanbul: US
London: The core group of the "Friends of Syria" will meet next week in Istanbul and US Secretary of State John Kerry will attend, a senior US State Department official said Wednesday.
"The secretary will be attending the next core group meeting in Istanbul on Saturday the 20th," the official said, asking not to be identified.
But the official, speaking in London where Kerry is meeting G8 foreign ministers, did not immediately give further details.
The "Friends of Syria", comprising the United States, European and Arab countries opposed to the rule of President Bashar al-Assad, held their last major meeting in Rome in February.
Syrian opposition leaders met with Kerry on the sidelines of the G8 talks where they renewed appeals to be supplied with arms without going into specifics, although Kerry "didn`t promise anything," a second State Department official said, also asking not to be identified.
So far the United States has refused to arm the rebels, fearing the weapons could fall into the wrong hands.
"We are always considering a variety of options. We are going to continue to aid the opposition, working with them in terms of what they need, in terms of what we`re willing to provide," the official said.
Wednesday`s talks had focused on ways of changing Assad`s calculations about the outcome of the conflict which is now in its third year and has cost some 70,000 lives, according to the UN.
"We need to have this continuing conversation which is why we are going back to Istanbul," the official said.
But he said the lunch with six Syrian opposition leaders including new prime minister Ghassan Hitto and hosted by British Foreign Secretary William Hague was "a good, substantive discussion".
All sides emphasised "the importance of working together, the importance of them getting themselves more organised, which they said they were in the process of doing".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh