Kerry to attend Syria meeting in Istanbul: US
London: The core group of the "Friends of Syria" will meet next week in Istanbul and US Secretary of State John Kerry will attend, a senior US State Department official said Wednesday.
"The secretary will be attending the next core group meeting in Istanbul on Saturday the 20th," the official said, asking not to be identified.
But the official, speaking in London where Kerry is meeting G8 foreign ministers, did not immediately give further details.
The "Friends of Syria", comprising the United States, European and Arab countries opposed to the rule of President Bashar al-Assad, held their last major meeting in Rome in February.
Syrian opposition leaders met with Kerry on the sidelines of the G8 talks where they renewed appeals to be supplied with arms without going into specifics, although Kerry "didn`t promise anything," a second State Department official said, also asking not to be identified.
So far the United States has refused to arm the rebels, fearing the weapons could fall into the wrong hands.
"We are always considering a variety of options. We are going to continue to aid the opposition, working with them in terms of what they need, in terms of what we`re willing to provide," the official said.
Wednesday`s talks had focused on ways of changing Assad`s calculations about the outcome of the conflict which is now in its third year and has cost some 70,000 lives, according to the UN.
"We need to have this continuing conversation which is why we are going back to Istanbul," the official said.
But he said the lunch with six Syrian opposition leaders including new prime minister Ghassan Hitto and hosted by British Foreign Secretary William Hague was "a good, substantive discussion".
All sides emphasised "the importance of working together, the importance of them getting themselves more organised, which they said they were in the process of doing".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam