Kerry to meet with top diplomats on Ukraine
Washington: Secretary of State John Kerry agreed on Monday to meet with top diplomats from Russia, Ukraine and the European Union in a new push to calm tensions in eastern Ukraine, as the White House threatened further sanctions if Moscow intervenes.
Kerry`s meeting with his counterparts will take place in the next 10 days, the State Department said, and comes amid mounting US concern that Russia could build on its recent annexation of Crimea by trying to split off other areas of Ukraine. To that end, the White House issued a warning to Russian President Vladimir Putin.
"If Russia moves into Eastern Ukraine, either overtly or covertly, this would be a very serious escalation," White House spokesman Jay Carney said, adding that the US is "prepared to impose further sanctions on sectors of the Russian economy should the situation escalate."
Pro-Russian activists who have barricaded inside a government building in eastern Ukraine proclaimed the region independent, while calling for a referendum on seceding from Ukraine, a chain of events with ominous echoes of the prelude to Russia`s annexation last month of Crimea.
The Ukrainian government has vowed to quell the unrest despite the tens of thousands of Russian troops stationed along their joint border.
Making clear the US considers Russia responsible for inciting unrest in eastern Ukraine, Carney said there`s strong evidence that some pro-Russian protesters who have taken over government buildings in eastern Ukraine were paid, and are not local residents.
"What`s clear is that this is a result of increased Russian pressure on Ukraine. And we see it in the troops that have massed on the border," Carney said, urging Putin to remove those troops from the border.
In a phone call earlier today, Kerry told his Russian counterpart, Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, that the US was watching events in an array of eastern Ukrainian cities with "great concern" and skepticism that they were spontaneous, the State Department said. Kerry pointed out that Russian intelligence operatives working in Ukraine had recently been arrested and called on Russia`s government to disavow the actions of separatists.
Lavrov, for his part, emphasised a "persistent need for a deep and transparent constitutional reform with full involvement of all political forces and regions, particularly amid the escalating protests in southeastern Ukraine," Russia`s foreign ministry said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today