Kerry urges Hamas to accept ceasefire with Israel
Gaza City: US Secretary of State John Kerry urged Hamas to accept Egypt`s ceasefire proposal to halt fighting with Israel in the Gaza Strip.
In a brief statement released by the State Department on Tuesday, Kerry welcomed Israel`s decision to accept the proposal.
"The Egyptian proposal for a ceasefire and negotiations provides an opportunity to end the violence and restore calm," Kerry said.
"We welcome the Israeli cabinet`s decision to accept it. We urge all other parties to accept the proposal," he added.
Hamas has thus far refused to accept the Egyptian proposal to end a week of the deadliest violence in Gaza Strip for years, which killed more than 190 Palestinians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'