KFC in sexism row over ‘obnoxious’ sales promotion
London: Fast food chain KFC has landed in a sexism row after it promoted its product using female college students who wore tracksuit bottoms emblazoned with the product’s logo on their backside.
KFC recruited female college students, from Spalding University, in Louisville, for USD 500 to hand out customer coupons while wearing the tracksuit bottoms, promoting the new “Double Down” sandwiches.
But the fast food chain has been accused by female groups of embarking on an “obnoxious” campaign that uses women to sell “unhealthy” products.
The 540-calorie sandwiches contain bacon and cheese between two pieces of chicken.
“It’s so obnoxious to once again be using women’s bodies to sell fundamentally unhealthy products,” the Telegraph quoted Terry O’Neill, the president of the National Organisation for Women, as telling USA Today.
The company defended the scheme, launched this week, saying it was part of its marketing campaign to reach out to its critical 18-25 year-old demographic 480-540 calorie sandwich.
John Cywinski, KFC’s chief marketing and food innovation officer, said it was an effective way to attract the attention of young men, which he said were the company’s key customers and the biggest fans of the hamburger.
“In an effort to reach consumers coast-to-coast, and especially our key target of young men, we’ve established, another advertising first, one that’s fitting of the Double Down’s head-turning history,” he said in a statement.
A company spokesman later said no complaints had been received.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?