Khamenei appoints Ahmadinejad member of expediency
Tehran: Iran`s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has appointed former president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as a member of Expediency Council, an administrative assembly.
In a decree Monday, the leader appointed Ahmadinejad to the council on the grounds of his "invaluable efforts" during his two terms of presidency, Xinhua reported citing state media.
The Expediency Council of Iran, an administrative assembly is appointed by the supreme leader. Originally set up to resolve differences between the Majlis (parliament) and the Guardians Council (the high legislative body of the country), in reality, it plays an advisory role to the supreme leader.
On Saturday, Ahmadinejad`s eight years of presidency terminated when Khamenei endorsed moderate cleric, Hassan Rouhanic, as the country`s new president.
Ahmadinejad announced earlier that he intends to establish an international university in capital Tehran after leaving the office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!