Khamenei urged Iran MPs to approve cabinet: Deputy Speaker
Tehran: Iran`s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei recommended that Parliament approve embattled President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s new cabinet, the Assembly`s
Deputy Speaker said on Friday.
The ISNA news agency quoted Mohammad Reza Bahonar as saying that if Khamenei had not backed the proposed line-up, eight or nine nominees would have been rejected during yesterday`s vote of confidence.
"The message of the leader played a big role," Bahonar said.
The conservative-dominated Parliament approved 18 out of 21 members of the cabinet proposed by the hardliner Ahmadinejad, rejecting two of three proposed women nominees and the would-be energy minister.
"If we had not received the leader`s recommendations, probably eight or nine ministers would have failed to win the vote of confidence, and that would not have been a good start for the government," said Bahonar, a well-known critic of Ahmadinejad.
He said the leader`s "vision" prevented this from happening and "changed the view" of the majlis or Parliament.
"If we had not received the message of the leader, the ministers of oil, industry, commerce, cooperatives, transport and foreign affairs would have been rejected," Bahonar added.
Khamenei, who has the final say in national issues, has openly defended the re-election of Ahmadinejad despite massive public protests against his June 12 victory which triggered the Islamic republic`s worst ever internal crisis.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata