Khamenei urged Iran MPs to approve cabinet: Deputy Speaker
Tehran: Iran`s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei recommended that Parliament approve embattled President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s new cabinet, the Assembly`s
Deputy Speaker said on Friday.
The ISNA news agency quoted Mohammad Reza Bahonar as saying that if Khamenei had not backed the proposed line-up, eight or nine nominees would have been rejected during yesterday`s vote of confidence.
"The message of the leader played a big role," Bahonar said.
The conservative-dominated Parliament approved 18 out of 21 members of the cabinet proposed by the hardliner Ahmadinejad, rejecting two of three proposed women nominees and the would-be energy minister.
"If we had not received the leader`s recommendations, probably eight or nine ministers would have failed to win the vote of confidence, and that would not have been a good start for the government," said Bahonar, a well-known critic of Ahmadinejad.
He said the leader`s "vision" prevented this from happening and "changed the view" of the majlis or Parliament.
"If we had not received the message of the leader, the ministers of oil, industry, commerce, cooperatives, transport and foreign affairs would have been rejected," Bahonar added.
Khamenei, who has the final say in national issues, has openly defended the re-election of Ahmadinejad despite massive public protests against his June 12 victory which triggered the Islamic republic`s worst ever internal crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?