Khamenei urged Iran MPs to approve cabinet: Deputy Speaker
Tehran: Iran`s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei recommended that Parliament approve embattled President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s new cabinet, the Assembly`s
Deputy Speaker said on Friday.
The ISNA news agency quoted Mohammad Reza Bahonar as saying that if Khamenei had not backed the proposed line-up, eight or nine nominees would have been rejected during yesterday`s vote of confidence.
"The message of the leader played a big role," Bahonar said.
The conservative-dominated Parliament approved 18 out of 21 members of the cabinet proposed by the hardliner Ahmadinejad, rejecting two of three proposed women nominees and the would-be energy minister.
"If we had not received the leader`s recommendations, probably eight or nine ministers would have failed to win the vote of confidence, and that would not have been a good start for the government," said Bahonar, a well-known critic of Ahmadinejad.
He said the leader`s "vision" prevented this from happening and "changed the view" of the majlis or Parliament.
"If we had not received the message of the leader, the ministers of oil, industry, commerce, cooperatives, transport and foreign affairs would have been rejected," Bahonar added.
Khamenei, who has the final say in national issues, has openly defended the re-election of Ahmadinejad despite massive public protests against his June 12 victory which triggered the Islamic republic`s worst ever internal crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news