Khanal to resign on Aug 13: Nepal govt spokesman
Kathmandu: Nepal`s Premier Jhala Nath Khanal,
who is under immense pressure to resign for his "failure" to
make progress on the peace process, will step down on August
13, a government spokesman has said, prompting top Maoist and
NC leaders to intensify efforts for formation of a national
The Prime Minister will resign on August 13, government
spokesman and Minister for Education Ganga Lal Tuladhar told
Khanal will resign to facilitate formation of a national
consensus government which, however, does not appear possible
right now, said Tuladhar, also a CPN-UML leader.
"Demands for the Prime Minister`s resignation have been
coming from different corners and as some people are having
sleepless nights over this issue, the Prime Minister, who is
feeling unwell presently, remembers the date on which he has
promised to resign," the minister said.
Khanal of CPN-UML, who was elected Premier on February 3
after 17 rounds of polls in Parliament, had said earlier this
month that he would quit if the major works related to the
2006 landmark peace process were not completed by August 13.
The Prime Minister, who is recuperating after being ill
for some time, is under immense pressure from the main
opposition Nepali Congress (NC) to resign.
Meanwhile, Maoist Vice Chairman Baburam Bhattarai and NC
leader Sher Bahadur Deuba have intensified parleys both within
and outside their parties in a bid to form a national
NC has been blocking the proceedings of the Parliament
for more than a week, demanding Khanal`s resignation in order
to implement the five-point deal he had signed with UCP-Maoist
and NC while extending the term of the Constituent Assembly on
May 28 by three months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read