Khomeini would have nixed result, says Iran`s Karroubi
Rome: A leader of Iran`s reformist opposition movement says he believes the late Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini would have scrapped the results of the June Presidential Elections.
Italian daily La Stampa today quoted Mehdi Karroubi as saying that if the leader of the 1979 Islamic revolution were alive, he would have annulled the results and condemned the "violence and murders”.
The results sparked Iran`s worst political turmoil in decades. Karroubi likened the arrests and violence to a coup.
Iran`s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has warned reformers they face "harsh" measures for confronting the establishment.
The opposition claims that hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad won the election by fraud and the real winner is Mir Hossein Mousavi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends