Khomeini’s ‘pro-democracy’ granddaughter fears being ‘jailed’
London: A granddaughter of Iranian first Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, has criticised the current regime for failing to allow democracy to flourish, and expressed concerns over fears of being arrested and jailed.
Naeimeh Eshraghi, a Tehran-based engineer, said that she wants to see an opening up of Iranian society with people free to express themselves.
But she also warned the West that the crippling sanctions being imposed on Iran were having the effect of increasing the suffering of the people while having little impact on the leaders.
“My grandfather`s system of spiritual guidance of the government rested its legitimacy on people`s consent,” the Telegraph quoted her, as saying.
“Today this theory of government has split many sections of our society from the regime and has led to a deviation from the earlier right path of the revolution,” she added.
Eshraghi, a qualified petrochemical engineer who last year supported a campaign against laws requiring women to wear hijabs, also objected to the government`s efforts to close off Iran`s internet users from the world.
According to the paper, Eshraghi said that despite her place in Iran`s most prominent revolutionary family, pictures of her as a girl on her grandfather`s lap form the strapline on her Facebook page, she was vulnerable to a crackdown on free speech on the internet.
“Not only am I concerned that the security forces may one day knock on my door, but also in fact think that it is quite possible that this may happen and then I would not be different from many other prominent free thinkers of our country who have ended up being in jail,” the paper quoted her, as saying. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth