Khomeini’s ‘pro-democracy’ granddaughter fears being ‘jailed’
London: A granddaughter of Iranian first Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, has criticised the current regime for failing to allow democracy to flourish, and expressed concerns over fears of being arrested and jailed.
Naeimeh Eshraghi, a Tehran-based engineer, said that she wants to see an opening up of Iranian society with people free to express themselves.
But she also warned the West that the crippling sanctions being imposed on Iran were having the effect of increasing the suffering of the people while having little impact on the leaders.
“My grandfather`s system of spiritual guidance of the government rested its legitimacy on people`s consent,” the Telegraph quoted her, as saying.
“Today this theory of government has split many sections of our society from the regime and has led to a deviation from the earlier right path of the revolution,” she added.
Eshraghi, a qualified petrochemical engineer who last year supported a campaign against laws requiring women to wear hijabs, also objected to the government`s efforts to close off Iran`s internet users from the world.
According to the paper, Eshraghi said that despite her place in Iran`s most prominent revolutionary family, pictures of her as a girl on her grandfather`s lap form the strapline on her Facebook page, she was vulnerable to a crackdown on free speech on the internet.
“Not only am I concerned that the security forces may one day knock on my door, but also in fact think that it is quite possible that this may happen and then I would not be different from many other prominent free thinkers of our country who have ended up being in jail,” the paper quoted her, as saying. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam