Kiev `bears responsibility` for Malaysian plane crash: Putin
Moscow: Russian President Vladimir Putin has said Ukraine was responsible for the crash of a Malaysian airline carrying 298 people in the strife-torn east of the former Soviet state.
"There is no doubt that the country on whose territory this terrible tragedy happened bears responsibility," Putin was quoted by Ria Novosti news agency as saying yesterday.
"This tragedy would not have happened if there was peace in the country, if military operations had not resumed in the south-east of Ukraine," he added.
The Russian leader then said he had ordered military officials to "provide all aid needed to shed light on this criminal act."
Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 was carrying 298 people from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur when it crashed in rebel-held eastern Ukraine near the Russian border, with Kiev charging that it was shot down in a "terrorist" attack.
More than half the passengers, 154, were Dutch nationals, while 27 came from Australia and 23 were Malaysian, an airline official said.
US officials "strongly believe" the airliner was shot down by a surface-to-air missile but have not identified who fired it.
World leaders including German Chancellor Angela Merkel and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon quickly called for a full international investigation of the disaster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered