Kim Jong-un warns ‘rebellious elements’ against creating unrest in N Korea
Pyongyang: North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has asked the judiciary and the police to take steps against ‘rebellious elements in society’, hinting at unrest among a ‘hungry and previously cowed population’.
In a meeting of the heads of internal security branches, a message from Kim was read out demanding that they find and eliminate ‘rebellious people who are manoeuvering behind the scenes to destroy our unity and prompt a riot’.
Kim’s orders, reported by North Korea’s news agency, are being taken as confirmation that there have been small-scale incidents against the regime in recent years, the Telegraph reports.
According to the report, the message to the police added that the security forces must ‘find those who are only waiting to unleash their hidden daggers and mercilessly crush every one of them.’
Toshimitsu Shigemura, a professor at Tokyo``s Waseda University and an expert on North Korean affairs, said there are credible reports that the regime is losing its iron grip on parts of the countryside, the report said.
"Orders from Pyongyang are not being carried out in rural areas and there have been some complaints against the regime, whose power is weakening," Professor Shigemura said.
"It is that weakening power that has forced Kim to speak out now," he said, although he played down suggestions that any protests have sufficient momentum to seriously challenge the regime,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling