`Kim’s brother under house arrest in Pyongyang`
Seoul: North Korean leader Kim Jong II`s half-brother Pyong II, the country`s ambassador to Poland, is rumoured to be under virtual house arrest in Pyongyang, a South Korean daily reported on Friday.
A source familiar with the North Korean affairs told the Chosun Ilbo that Kim Pyong II is said to have been restricted to his home ever since he arrived in Pyongyang in May, because Kim Jong II`s son and heir Jong Un and his followers are manoeuvring to hold him in check.
"Anyone who is believed to pose an obstacle to Kim Jong Un`s succession, even members of his own family, is subject to elimination," the source was quoted as saying.
Experts say Kim Jong Un is deliberately trying to look like his grandfather Kim II Sung to take advantage of nostalgia for the late founder of the nation, but Kim Pyong II looks more like Kim II Sung and is therefore regarded as a threat, the report said.
Since Kim Jong II beat him to the succession in the 1960s and 1970s, Kim Pyong II has spent 23 years overseas, beginning as ambassador to Hungary in 1988 and then becoming ambassador to Bulgaria, Finland and Poland. He has returned to Pyongyang only a few times since Kim II Sung died in July 1994.
This time, observers speculate he will spend some time in Pyongyang before returning to Poland because his mother Kim Song Ae, 87, is in her final days. But others speculate he will return to Poland in August after observing the anniversary of his father`s death on July 08.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark