King Richard III has thousands of relatives worldwide
London: At present there may be up to 200,000 relatives of King Richard III around the world who are unaware they have blue blood in their veins, says a genealogist.
After Richard was killed at the battle of Bosworth Field in 1485 the succeeding Tudor dynasty tried to wipe out all traces of his Plantagenet family. His body was only recently found under a car park in Leicester.
Genealogist Anthony Adolph said, however, that the attempt failed and there may now be up to 200,000 relatives worldwide who have Plantagenet genes, according to the Daily Express.
In his new book Tracing Your Aristocratic Ancestors published by Pen And Sword Books, Adolph claimed that noble families multiplied because they were better fed, better defended and cared for each other in times of trouble.
Now the links coming to light, thanks to the advances in DNA testing.
Adolph cited that Richard`s cousin Sir John Neville is a direct ancestor of first US president George Washington and Second World War general George Patton.
Adolph himself is descended from Margaret Plantagenet Pole, Countess of Salisbury, daughter of the Duke of Clarence, who was murdered by his brother Richard III.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why