Know more about Colorado shooter James Holmes
Aurora: The US Police on Friday identified the gunman who opened fire at a Denver-area theatre during a midnight premiere of the latest Batman movie, "The Dark Knight Rises”, killing 12 people and injuring at least 50 others.
The suspect was taken into custody and identified by federal law enforcement officials as James Holmes.
A news agency reports that Holmes, a 24-year-old white American male, was wearing a bullet-proof vest and a riot-type mask when he barged into Center 16 Movie Theatres in Aurora, Colorado, hurled a gas canister and opened fire.
ABC News reports that Holmes had moved to Colorado from San Diego, California to pursue a PhD at the University of Colorado Denver Medical Campus. He withdrew as a student in June.
Reports also said that Holmes was sporting red hair and told people he was "The Joker".
During a news conference, New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said, "We have some information, most of it is public. It clearly looks like a deranged individual. He had his hair painted red, he said he was ‘The Joker,’ obviously the enemy of Batman."
According to NBC, Holmes’ name was not on any watch list and he has no military history.
Also, Aurora police spokesman Frank Fania said that Holmes had not any previous run-ins with the law, other than a "minor" traffic ticket last year.
Holmes was apprehended by police in the movie theatre parking lot without any resistance from his side.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!