Know more about Colorado shooter James Holmes
Aurora: The US Police on Friday identified the gunman who opened fire at a Denver-area theatre during a midnight premiere of the latest Batman movie, "The Dark Knight Rises”, killing 12 people and injuring at least 50 others.
The suspect was taken into custody and identified by federal law enforcement officials as James Holmes.
A news agency reports that Holmes, a 24-year-old white American male, was wearing a bullet-proof vest and a riot-type mask when he barged into Center 16 Movie Theatres in Aurora, Colorado, hurled a gas canister and opened fire.
ABC News reports that Holmes had moved to Colorado from San Diego, California to pursue a PhD at the University of Colorado Denver Medical Campus. He withdrew as a student in June.
Reports also said that Holmes was sporting red hair and told people he was "The Joker".
During a news conference, New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said, "We have some information, most of it is public. It clearly looks like a deranged individual. He had his hair painted red, he said he was ‘The Joker,’ obviously the enemy of Batman."
According to NBC, Holmes’ name was not on any watch list and he has no military history.
Also, Aurora police spokesman Frank Fania said that Holmes had not any previous run-ins with the law, other than a "minor" traffic ticket last year.
Holmes was apprehended by police in the movie theatre parking lot without any resistance from his side.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi