Kofi Annan meets Syria`s Assad, talks "constructive"
Beirut: Hoping to salvage peace in Syria in a last ditch effort, the United Nations-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan on Monday held talks with Syrian President Bashar Assad.
Annan reached Syria on Sunday and headed for the Dama Rose hotel in the Syrian capital, where UN observers have been staying since suspending their patrols because of an increase in the level of violence.
The two long hour meeting held with Assad was “constructive and candid”, said Annan later to the reporters.
Syrian foreign ministry too spoke in the same tone, saying the talks were “constructive”.
The talks focussed more on how to implement the six-point peace plan proposed by Kofi Annan in April.
Earlier on Saturday, Annan acknowledged in an interview that his plan to salvage peace in Syria had failed.
According to Annan’s plan, the ceasefire had to ensue from mid-April.
Assad, who accused the US of supporting “terrorists” against Syria, said that many foreign countries were proving to be obstacles in the way of Annan’s peace plan.
We know that (Annan) is coming up against countless obstacles but his plan should not be allowed to fail, it is a very good plan," Assad told on a TV channel.
"The biggest obstacle is that many countries do not even want this plan to succeed so they offer political support and continue to provide the terrorists in Syria with arms and money," Assad said.
Assad also accused Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Turkey of supplying the rebels with arms and other logistical support in order to topple him.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3