Korea protests Japan`s setup of Office to promote disputed isles claims
Seoul: South Korea has lodged a protest against Japan`s decision to set up a new ministry to advance its position on its territorial rows with neighbours South Korea, China, Taiwan and Russia.
"It`s deeply regrettable and we strongly protest," foreign ministry spokesman Cho Tai Young said in a statement yesterday.
The move shows "Japan has not repented for its history of imperialistic usurpation of Dokdo," Cho said, referring to a pair of South Korean-administered islets in the Sea of Japan that are claimed by Japan, which calls them Takeshima.
"We demand Japan retract the move that runs contrary to the times," Cho said.
South Korea has also taken a number of measures to publicise its claim to sovereignty over the disputed islets in an effort to win support from the international community.
Japan also has territorial disputes with China and Taiwan over the Japanese-administered Senkaku islands in the East China Sea -- which are known as Diaoyu in China and Tiaoyutai in Taiwan -- as well as with Russia over four Russian-held islands Japan calls its Northern Territories and which Russia refers to as the South Kuriles. (Kyodo)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'