Korea protests Japan`s setup of Office to promote disputed isles claims
Seoul: South Korea has lodged a protest against Japan`s decision to set up a new ministry to advance its position on its territorial rows with neighbours South Korea, China, Taiwan and Russia.
"It`s deeply regrettable and we strongly protest," foreign ministry spokesman Cho Tai Young said in a statement yesterday.
The move shows "Japan has not repented for its history of imperialistic usurpation of Dokdo," Cho said, referring to a pair of South Korean-administered islets in the Sea of Japan that are claimed by Japan, which calls them Takeshima.
"We demand Japan retract the move that runs contrary to the times," Cho said.
South Korea has also taken a number of measures to publicise its claim to sovereignty over the disputed islets in an effort to win support from the international community.
Japan also has territorial disputes with China and Taiwan over the Japanese-administered Senkaku islands in the East China Sea -- which are known as Diaoyu in China and Tiaoyutai in Taiwan -- as well as with Russia over four Russian-held islands Japan calls its Northern Territories and which Russia refers to as the South Kuriles. (Kyodo)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves