Kosovo, Serbia hail breakthrough deal
Pristina: Kosovo and Serbia on Sunday hailed
the first deal on resolving nuts-and-bolts problems created by
Pristina`s declared independence as a step towards European
A five-month EU-brokered dialogue between Belgrade and
Pristina produced first results late yesterday as the two
sides agreed on issues such as freedom of movement and what to
do about Serbia holding civil registries since the end of the
According to the deal citizens of Kosovo, a former
Serbian province, will be able to cross the border with Serbia
and move freely around the country with personal documents
issued by Pristina authorities, excluding passports.
Belgrade up to now had considered Kosovo vehicle
number-plates and ID as invalid, preventing Kosovars from
using the shortest route to western Europe.
This was a particular headache for some of the
150,000-strong Kosovo diaspora in EU countries, who welcomed
the agreement with relief.
Agush Hasani, 62, whose two sons live and work in
Germany, hopes to see them more frequently now.
"It was a nightmare for them to travel to Kosovo by
car as it took around 30 hours" along roads around Serbia,
Gani Hoda of a Pristina-based tourist agency said he
and most of his fellow colleagues had been waiting for the
agreement for a long time.
"Our bus, which left Switzerland yesterday, had to
take a roundabout route through Italy, Slovenia, Croatia and
Montenegro to get to Kosovo instead of going straight across
Serbia," Hoda said.
"The journey is not only 10 hours longer but increases
travel expenses by up to 700 euros per bus."
A Kosovo Serb leader, Rada Trajkovic, said the deal
will also make the life of the Serb minority in Kosovo easier,
which has been unable to travel throughout the territory with
identity papers and driving licences issued by Serbian
Serbia has vowed never to recognise Kosovo as a state,
considering it as its southern province, but 76 countries,
including the United States and 22 of the 27 EU member states,
have recognised its independence in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what