close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Kurdish militants claim Ankara bombing, warns foreign tourists

A Kurdish militant group on Friday claimed the suicide car bomb attack on a military convoy in the Turkish capital Ankara that killed 28 people, threatening new attacks targeting the crucial tourism sector.


Kurdish militants claim Ankara bombing, warns foreign tourists

Ankara: A Kurdish militant group on Friday claimed the suicide car bomb attack on a military convoy in the Turkish capital Ankara that killed 28 people, threatening new attacks targeting the crucial tourism sector.

The Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (TAK), who have been linked to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), said the attack was revenge for operations by the Turkish military in the southeast of the country and warned foreign tourists not to visit Turkey.

"On February 17 in the evening a suicide attack was carried out by a sacrifice warrior on a military convoy of the fascist Turkish Republic in Ankara... The attack was realised by the Immortal Battalion of the TAK," the TAK said in a statement on their website.

Wednesday`s attack struck at the heart of Ankara in an area where institutions including the army headquarters and parliament are concentrated. It was one of the deadliest attacks on the Turkish military in recent years. 

Ankara has insisted that the Syrian Kurdish People`s Protection Units (YPG) and Democratic Union Party (PYD) were behind the attack, although its claims have met with scepticism from chief NATO ally the United States.

The YPG and PYD deny accusations from Ankara that they are branches of the PKK and have rejected having any involvement in the attack.

The TAK named the suicide bomber as Zinar Raperin born in 1989 in Turkey`s Kurdish-dominated eastern region of Van, who had been involved with the Kurdish "freedom struggle" and since 2011 with the TAK.

The TAK`s claim of the bomber`s identity is in contradiction to Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu who said the bomber was a Syrian national YPG operative. In an additional English-language statement the TAK warned it aims to "destroy" tourism in Turkey.

"We warn the foreign and native tourists not go to the touristic areas in Turkey. We are not responsible for who will die in the attacks targeting those areas," it said.

The TAK is a little-known group which has nonetheless risen to prominence in recent months after it claimed firing mortar shells on Istanbul`s Sabiha Gokcen airport on December 23.

The firing left one airport cleaner dead and also damaged several planes. 

Turkish officials say the TAK is a front for PKK attacks on civilian targets, but the PKK claims TAK is a splinter group over which it has no control.

 

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions