Kurdish rebels to begin Turkey withdrawal on May 8
Ankara: Kurdish rebels announced on Thursday they would on May 8 begin withdrawing from Turkey into their safe haven in northern Iraq amid a peace drive between Ankara and the rebel movement.
"As part of ongoing preparations, the withdrawal will begin on May 8, 2013," Murat Karayilan, the leader of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers` Party (PKK), was quoted as saying by the pro-Kurdish Firat news agency.
"The withdrawal is planned in phases ... and is aimed to be finalised as soon as possible."
But the PKK leader also urged the Turkish army "to act with the same sensitivity and seriousness."
"Our forces will use their right to retaliate in the event of an attack, operation or bombing against our withdrawing guerilla forces and the withdrawal will immediately stop," Karayilan warned.
The announcement comes after the PKK`s jailed leader Abdullah Ocalan ordered on March 21 a historic ceasefire following clandestine negotiations with the Turkish secret service aimed at disarming the rebel group.
The PKK, blacklisted as a terrorist group by Turkey and much of the international community, started an armed rebellion for self-rule in the Kurdish-majority southeast in 1984, which has cost around 45,000 lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'