Kuwait eyes nuclear energy in seven years
Dubai: Aiming to have a nuclear power
station operational within seven years, Kuwait is interested in acquiring and harnessing alternative energy, namely nuclear and solar energy, Kuwait`s Minister of Electricity and Water Bader Al-Shuraiaan has said.
The minister, in a statement to Kuwait`s news agency,
KUNA, on the sidelines of the Paris international conference
on peaceful use of nuclear energy, said that this source of
power is clean and nature friendly.
He affirmed Kuwait`s approach to depend more on
eco-friendly energy resources and cut dependency on polluting
fossil fuels, noting the country`s mounting need to increase
production of electricity and water.
Kuwait`s Amir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah has
formed a special committee chaired by Dr Ahmad Beshara and
grouping academics and experts to undertake the task of
acquiring and using nuclear energy in line with international
treaties and resolutions.
Moreover, a special team has been assigned to choose an
adequate site on the national territory to build a nuclear
It called for harnessing enriched uranium at
internationally acceptable levels, habilitating cadres and
using the energy in medicine, agriculture, geology and
Asked when the nuclear energy would be practically used
in Kuwait, the minister indicated that this might happen in
seven years. As to safety, he affirmed that states that use
nuclear energy have made headways in securing nuclear sites.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...