close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Kuwait mulls charging more than 40 over mosque bomb

Kuwait is considering charging more than 40 people in connection with a deadly suicide bombing in a Shiite mosque claimed by the Islamic State group, a security official said Sunday.



Kuwait City: Kuwait is considering charging more than 40 people in connection with a deadly suicide bombing in a Shiite mosque claimed by the Islamic State group, a security official said Sunday.

"More than 40 suspects, including a number of women, have been referred to the public prosecution," the official told AFP, requesting anonymity.

"Now, it is up to the prosecution whether to press charges against all of them or not," the official said.

The Saudi bomber killed 26 people and wounded 227 in the June 26 attack in the capital Kuwait City.

Among the defendants are the alleged driver of the bomber and the alleged owner of the house where the driver stayed.

Kuwait has a confessionally divided population of around one third Shiite to two thirds Sunni.

Last month`s attack was the first in the emirate to be claimed by IS, which controls swathes of neighbouring Iraq and Syria.

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions

trending

photo gallery

video


WION FEATURES

K8 Plus: Lenovo's new phone available @ Rs 10,999

Heavy security outside Dera Sacha Sauda headquarters in Sirsa as search operation begins

WATCH Exclusive: After Doklam standoff, India begins road construction near LAC

Hurricane Irma, rampaging through Caribbean, is most enduring super-storm on record

Three train derailments in 1 day, fourth accident narrowly-averted

China says Indian Army chief's views contrary to those expressed by Modi, Xi