Kuwait opposition seeks gains in Parliament vote
Kuwait City: Voting is under way in Kuwait in Parliamentary Elections that include an array of opposition groups seeking to further boost their political voice in the oil-rich Gulf nation.
Thursday`s balloting is a test of strength for Kuwait`s Western-backed rulers against groups that include Islamists, liberals and youth faction inspired by the Arab Spring uprisings.
Kuwait`s emir dissolved the previous Parliament in December after months of political upheaval, including anti-government mobs storming the chamber.
Results are expected on Friday for the 50-seat Assembly.
Kuwait`s ruling family controls all key affairs, but its Parliament is one of the few elected bodies in the Gulf that openly challenge the country`s leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday