Kuwait opposition seeks gains in Parliament vote
Kuwait City: Voting is under way in Kuwait in Parliamentary Elections that include an array of opposition groups seeking to further boost their political voice in the oil-rich Gulf nation.
Thursday`s balloting is a test of strength for Kuwait`s Western-backed rulers against groups that include Islamists, liberals and youth faction inspired by the Arab Spring uprisings.
Kuwait`s emir dissolved the previous Parliament in December after months of political upheaval, including anti-government mobs storming the chamber.
Results are expected on Friday for the 50-seat Assembly.
Kuwait`s ruling family controls all key affairs, but its Parliament is one of the few elected bodies in the Gulf that openly challenge the country`s leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Heavy rainfall expected in Vidarbha, Telangana, Andhra; Monsoon set to enter Delhi, Punjab, Haryana
- India's spectrum proceeds seen way below target at $10-$12 bn: HSBC
- England's Roy Hodgson dismisses report of Wayne Rooney-Jamie Vardy rift
- China, Russia fed up with US hegemony: Chinese daily
- BJP ally Shiv Sena accuses saffron party of spreading falsehood, rumours