Kuwait opposition seeks gains in Parliament vote
Kuwait City: Voting is under way in Kuwait in Parliamentary Elections that include an array of opposition groups seeking to further boost their political voice in the oil-rich Gulf nation.
Thursday`s balloting is a test of strength for Kuwait`s Western-backed rulers against groups that include Islamists, liberals and youth faction inspired by the Arab Spring uprisings.
Kuwait`s emir dissolved the previous Parliament in December after months of political upheaval, including anti-government mobs storming the chamber.
Results are expected on Friday for the 50-seat Assembly.
Kuwait`s ruling family controls all key affairs, but its Parliament is one of the few elected bodies in the Gulf that openly challenge the country`s leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II