Kuwait Parliament votes to lift restriction on beards in military
Dubai: Kuwait`s Parliament voted to adopt a bill that would allow men in the country`s military to wear beards.
The bill was supported by 30 lawmakers and opposed by eight, and those supporting it included three of the four women who were elected to the Parliament for the first time last year.
The fourth woman, MP Salwa Al Jassar, abstained, alongside Parliament Speaker Jassem Al Khorafi, from voting during the session, Kuwait`s official news agency KUNA said.
Most of the men in the security forces are forbidden from growing a beard in Kuwait.
The Parliament in June approved the first draft of the law on allowing members of the military to grow their beards. However, the government can reject the law within 30 days.
The parliamentary endorsement was promptly hailed by Kuwaiti bloggers as a positive step forward that would allow military staff keen on growing beards to feel more comfortable with their choices.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday