Kuwaiti women can now sponsor non-Kuwaiti husbands
Dubai: Kuwaiti women, who are married to foreigners, have been given the right to sponsor their children and husbands, a news report here has said.
The decision, announced by the interior minister, marks a step forward for Kuwaiti women who have been pushing for years for such rights with the aim of increasing family stability.
Under the former legal arrangements, the sons and daughters of Kuwaiti mothers and foreign fathers had to be sponsored by companies or institutions when they reached 18 years, the Gulf News report said.
Husbands who left their employers were also forced to seek the sponsorship of companies or establishments in order to continue living in Kuwait.
Wives could sponsor their husbands under the old system once they reached the age of 60. The new law applies to the sons and daughters of Kuwaiti women and is not linked to any conditions.
However, Kuwaiti women cannot sponsor their husbands if they divorce.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city