Kuwaiti women can now sponsor non-Kuwaiti husbands
Dubai: Kuwaiti women, who are married to foreigners, have been given the right to sponsor their children and husbands, a news report here has said.
The decision, announced by the interior minister, marks a step forward for Kuwaiti women who have been pushing for years for such rights with the aim of increasing family stability.
Under the former legal arrangements, the sons and daughters of Kuwaiti mothers and foreign fathers had to be sponsored by companies or institutions when they reached 18 years, the Gulf News report said.
Husbands who left their employers were also forced to seek the sponsorship of companies or establishments in order to continue living in Kuwait.
Wives could sponsor their husbands under the old system once they reached the age of 60. The new law applies to the sons and daughters of Kuwaiti women and is not linked to any conditions.
However, Kuwaiti women cannot sponsor their husbands if they divorce.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown