Kuwaiti women can now sponsor non-Kuwaiti husbands
Dubai: Kuwaiti women, who are married to foreigners, have been given the right to sponsor their children and husbands, a news report here has said.
The decision, announced by the interior minister, marks a step forward for Kuwaiti women who have been pushing for years for such rights with the aim of increasing family stability.
Under the former legal arrangements, the sons and daughters of Kuwaiti mothers and foreign fathers had to be sponsored by companies or institutions when they reached 18 years, the Gulf News report said.
Husbands who left their employers were also forced to seek the sponsorship of companies or establishments in order to continue living in Kuwait.
Wives could sponsor their husbands under the old system once they reached the age of 60. The new law applies to the sons and daughters of Kuwaiti women and is not linked to any conditions.
However, Kuwaiti women cannot sponsor their husbands if they divorce.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song