Kuwait’s envoy to US during Iraq invasion dies
Kuwait City: A government-backed newspaper in Kuwait reports that Sheik Saud Al Nasser Al Sabah, who served as ambassador to the US during Iraq`s 1990 invasion of the oil-rich country, has died.
Al-Qabas newspaper says the 68-year-old former diplomat died on Saturday. It gave no cause of death.
A statement on Sunday from former US president George HW Bush called Sheik Nasser a "trusted partner" during the US-led war in 1991 that drove Saddam Hussein`s forces from Kuwait.
The former ambassador and member of Kuwait`s royal family was a leading voice urging for international help during Iraq`s occupation. But he was forced to defend his tactics when it was revealed that his daughter, Nayirah, told US lawmakers she witnessed Iraqi soldiers yank infants from incubators. Several rights groups later questioned the account.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok