Kuwait`s parliamentary panel `rejects ban on bikinis`
Dubai: A parliamentary committee in the
oil-rich Gulf state of Kuwait has reportedly rejected a motion
to ban bikinis, saying it`s "unconstitutional".
The motion, submitted in November by members of the
Development and Reform Bloc and MP Khalid Al Sultan, proposed
a ban on women from wearing bikinis, revealing bathing suits
and clothes with deep cleavage at the beach.
Offenders will be sentenced to one year in prison and
to pay a KD 1,000 fine, the motion said.
However, the parliamentarian committee said that the
motion "violated the constitution" and that there was no need
to add new articles to the existing penal code, the `Gulf
Aseel Al Awadhi, one of the four women MPs, blasted
the move to ban bikinis, saying that Kuwaitis didn`t need a
custodian to decide their lives for them.
But, the MPs for the motion said that they submitted
the motion after noticing that several women did not comply
with public moral standards by wearing "inappropriate"
clothes, engaging in intimate activities, dancing and singing,
listening to loud music and taking their dogs to the beach.
The "immoral" activities also occurred on Kuwaiti
coasts and islands and in Kuwait`s territorial waters, they
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!