Kuwait`s ruler appoints new Prime Minister
Kuwait City: Kuwait`s ruler Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah on Wednesday appointed country`s defence minister Jaber Al-Mubarak Al-Hamad Al-Sabah as the new prime minister.
The 63-year-old Jaber succeeds Nasser Al-Mohammad Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah who resigned Monday, as the Gulf Arab emirate slipped deeper into political crisis due to a bitter struggle between the government and parliament, Xinhua reported.
Jaber is a senior member of the Al-Sabah family, which has ruled Kuwait for over 250 years.
Opposition groups staged weekly rallies since February to demand Nasser to step down, accusing him of failing to stop the trend of corruption, and turn the country`s oil revenue into economic growth.
Opposition activists said the demonstrations did not have the nature of the so-called "Arab Spring", as their targets were neither the amir, or ruler nor the ruling family.
Kuwait, whose citizens were granted cradle-to-grave welfare benefits, managed to stave off impacts of the unrest that led to the fall of leaders in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya, but lingering political rifts between the government and parliament have delayed major economic reforms.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India