Kyrgyz ex-president sentenced to life imprisonment
Bishkek: A Kyrgyz military court Friday sentenced in absentia the country`s former president Kurmanbek Bakiyev, his brother Janysh Bakiyev and former prime minister Daniyar Usenov to life imprisonment.
Reading out the verdict, Judge Damir Onolbekov said the court found the three guilty on several charges, including massive killing of demonstrators on April 7, 2010, Xinhua reported.
The court decided to sentence Bakiyev and his brother Janysh, former head of the state security service, to life imprisonment, as well as confiscation of property and deprivation of the right to occupy certain positions or engage in certain activities for three years.
Usenov was also sentenced to life imprisonment, with the right to occupy certain positions or engage in certain activities deprived for three years. His car, apartment and certain amount of cash will also be confiscated.
The three are wanted internationally by the Kyrgyz authorities. The former president and his brother are believed to be in Belarus, while attempts for their extradition have failed. The location of the former prime minister remains unknown.
Several other high-ranking officials in the Bakiyev administration were also found guilty of complicity in murder or attempted murder, and sentenced to 6-25 years in prison Friday -- three of them in absentia.
On April 7, 2010, a wave of protests against the Bakiyev administration swept across Kyrgyzstan. In a bloody conflict between the demonstrators and law enforcement agencies in Bishkek, 87 people were killed and nearly 500 others wounded. Bakiyev then fled the country and an interim government headed by the opposition took over.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- It's a 'happy-sad feeling' for Anushka Sharma as 'Phillauri' shoot comes to an end!
- Lankan Navy damages seven boats of Tamil Nadu fishermen
- At least 18 killed by a roadside bomb in Somalia
- 'Too much' or 'too little' sleep can raise diabetes risk in men
- 7th Pay Commission: No decision yet on increase in allowances; pay hike to be implemented from Jan 2016