Kyrgyz leader warns of new unrest, wins Russian backing
Astana: Kyrgyzstan`s newly inaugurated
President Roza Otunbayeva on Monday warned her country still
risked being hit by new unrest as she won the clearest Russian
backing yet for her government.
"At the moment the situation is relatively calm but we
are ready for more clashes," Otunbayeva told Russian President
Dmitry Medvedev at a meeting on the sidelines of a regional
summit in Kazakhstan.
"To say that everything has stopped and we can finally
move onto rebuilding is not correct for the moment," she said,
quoted by Russian news agencies.
Otunbayeva was sworn in as conflict-torn Kyrgyzstan`s
president on Saturday, less than a month after ethnic clashes
in its south which officials have said may have claimed up to
Medvedev, whose country has at times been wary of giving
the Kyrgyz authorities full support after the uprising that
ousted former president Kurmanbek Bakiyev in April, said
Otunbayeva could count on Moscow`s backing.
"I expect that under your leadership, Kyrgyzstan can
achieve success and overcome the period of difficulty," he
"In this respect you can always rely on the position of
the Russian people and the Russian state," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31