Kyrgyz President appears headed for landslide win
Bishkek: Election officials in Kyrgyzstan said early Friday that partial results from the
Presidential Election give incumbent Kurmanbek Bakiyev an overwhelming lead of around 90 percent of votes counted.
The Central Election Commission released the results based on returns from 587 of the 2,330 polling districts, around 25 percent of votes cast in this mountainous Central Asian nation.
The main opposition candidate, Almazbek Atambayev, has dismissed yesterday`s election as fraudulent and called for a rerun. Atambayev claimed widespread ballot-stuffing and the intimidation of opposition election monitors. He also charged that official turnout of nearly 80 percent was inflated.
Atambayev won just over five percent of votes counted, according to the commission`s data.
The dispute over the legitimacy of the election has set the stage for nationwide protests in the Central Asian nation, which hosts a US air base crucial to operations in Afghanistan and is the focus of competition between Washington and Moscow for regional influence.
Political turmoil has wracked Kyrgyzstan, a poor country of five million on China`s western border since 2005, when street protesters drove the Soviet-era leader out of office and ushered Bakiyev to power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic