Kyrgyz President appears headed for landslide win
Bishkek: Election officials in Kyrgyzstan said early Friday that partial results from the
Presidential Election give incumbent Kurmanbek Bakiyev an overwhelming lead of around 90 percent of votes counted.
The Central Election Commission released the results based on returns from 587 of the 2,330 polling districts, around 25 percent of votes cast in this mountainous Central Asian nation.
The main opposition candidate, Almazbek Atambayev, has dismissed yesterday`s election as fraudulent and called for a rerun. Atambayev claimed widespread ballot-stuffing and the intimidation of opposition election monitors. He also charged that official turnout of nearly 80 percent was inflated.
Atambayev won just over five percent of votes counted, according to the commission`s data.
The dispute over the legitimacy of the election has set the stage for nationwide protests in the Central Asian nation, which hosts a US air base crucial to operations in Afghanistan and is the focus of competition between Washington and Moscow for regional influence.
Political turmoil has wracked Kyrgyzstan, a poor country of five million on China`s western border since 2005, when street protesters drove the Soviet-era leader out of office and ushered Bakiyev to power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!