Kyrgyz protesters take over local govt HQ in south
Osh: Supporters of Kyrgyzstan`s ousted leader took over the regional government headquarters in the southern city of Osh on Thursday, a report said.
Supporters of Kurmanbek Bakiyev, who was ousted in a revolt last month, scuffled with guards and entered the government building after holding a demonstration that drew about 1,000 people.
The Kyrgyz government responded by saying it would take unspecified measures to restore authority in the area.
Bakiyev fled last month to Belarus and an interim government claimed power in the Central Asian nation after protesters stormed government buildings in the capital Bishkek. At least 85 people were killed in clashes between protesters, some of them armed, and police who fired into crowds.
The interim government has struggled to stamp its authority across the impoverished, predominantly Muslim ex-Soviet republic, particularly in Bakiyev`s southern power base.
On Wednesday, the interim government faced its first large public protest in the capital as hundreds of opponents -- many members of Bakiyev`s Ak Zhol party and the allied Communists -- demonstrated against the dissolution of Parliament.
The United States and Russia have air bases in Kyrgyzstan. The US base at Manas airport is key to American efforts to supply forces fighting in nearby Afghanistan.
Moscow and Washington have both expressed support for the interim government, which has promised to hold new Parliamentary Elections in October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre