Kyrgyz protesters take over local govt HQ in south
Osh: Supporters of Kyrgyzstan`s ousted leader took over the regional government headquarters in the southern city of Osh on Thursday, a report said.
Supporters of Kurmanbek Bakiyev, who was ousted in a revolt last month, scuffled with guards and entered the government building after holding a demonstration that drew about 1,000 people.
The Kyrgyz government responded by saying it would take unspecified measures to restore authority in the area.
Bakiyev fled last month to Belarus and an interim government claimed power in the Central Asian nation after protesters stormed government buildings in the capital Bishkek. At least 85 people were killed in clashes between protesters, some of them armed, and police who fired into crowds.
The interim government has struggled to stamp its authority across the impoverished, predominantly Muslim ex-Soviet republic, particularly in Bakiyev`s southern power base.
On Wednesday, the interim government faced its first large public protest in the capital as hundreds of opponents -- many members of Bakiyev`s Ak Zhol party and the allied Communists -- demonstrated against the dissolution of Parliament.
The United States and Russia have air bases in Kyrgyzstan. The US base at Manas airport is key to American efforts to supply forces fighting in nearby Afghanistan.
Moscow and Washington have both expressed support for the interim government, which has promised to hold new Parliamentary Elections in October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi